Visa & Residence permit

Before you depart for Sweden you will need to make sure that you have the correct documentation. If you are from outside the EU/EEA and are planning to study in Sweden at a university or a university college for a period longer than three months, you require a residence permit. For studies that are shorter than three months, citizens in certain countries must have an entry visa. Here you can learn more about Visa and residence permit.


Stockholm University strongly recommends students to have a complete insurance cover to avoid extreme costs that might occur. Carefully consider which level of insurance you need and pay particular attention to the coverage’s restrictions and exclusions.

For more information about insurance please use this link.


As a special service Stockholm University tries to assist students from partner universities with accommodation. However the housing situation in Stockholm can be difficult and we do not guarantee that we can provide housing for all exchange students. The application for housing will be sent to you after you have applied successfully. You can choose if you would like to live in a room on a student corridor or in a student apartment. 

Your application for accommodation will  be handled completely by the Housing Office.  Visit the Housing Office's website for more information. If you still may have some unanswered questions concerning housing after having read through the information provided, please contact the Housing Office directly at

Useful links

Stockholm University International Office:

Student Health Care Centre:

University Library: 

Studying with disabilities:

Student Union:

Sports facilities:

Study in Sweden:

Getting to the university and maps: